Saturday 11 June 2011

these past 2 days

Yesterday we spent the day at a zoo called Symbio. I pet kangaroos, dingos, and koalas!! It was amazing. Dingos are my new favorite animals because their so cute and fierce at the same time. Peacocks were randomly roaming the pathways as well... along with some roosters. I have to say, it was an interesting group of species there. Emus, llamas, kangaroos, kookaburras, red pandas, sumatran tigers, crocs, peacocks, roosters, koalas, snakes, tasmanian devils, meerkats, monkeys, and some birds. It was pretty awesome!! Today we travelled to Canberra, the capital of Australia. We went to the Australian Institute of Sports (aka my new favorite place on earth). There they had a history of Australian sports and athletes, but they also had new, state of the art facilities for weight training, volleyball, basketball, soccer, netball, track/running, and swimming. They also had a sports science/sports medicine center. I've decided that's what I want to do in life. Sports science uses engineering and technology to create new facilities or ideas to make people faster, stronger, and overall more athletic. Sports medicine is exactly what the name says-- using medicine to help athletes recover and become better. We got to shoot some basketball, kick a football (aussie style), and do other things as well. Also in Canberra we went to the war memorial; there the names of all Australian soldiers killed in battle, beginning in 1914 and going until today, are plastered on the wall. Think of it as all of our war memorials put into one. We also drove past the Parliament house which is built into a hill. That looks like our Vietnam war memorial because of the grass on top of the building. The house is like our Congress building without the fancy dome on top (replaced by grass). History fascinates me, but all of their war stuff didn't really have any effect on me. I guess it's because I'm not Australian. Anyway, tomorrow Maddie's brother Ben comes and we can relax for a day. Not much longer until I'm home! 24 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment